Tuesday 15 November 2011

DB 11 - Presentation Week 11: Kertesz and Cartier-Bresson versus Smith and Salgado

The similarities between Kertesz and Bresson are they take the time to think about what they want their photo to be like and than plan what they want their photographs to be like when they are taken. They both took time to alter their photographs to show people the emotions they had when they took the photograph.

Kertesz and Cartier Bresson don't have any presence in their photographs. Their emotions are not shown in their photographs. They would not interfere with their photographs by putting themselves in it as that would screw up what they are trying to show people when they finish their work on the photograph. They were more professional in a sense than Smith and Salgado in my opinion.

In my opinion, I agree with Smith and Salgado's approach. I feel that showing themselves in the pictures is a good idea and shows they are serious about their jobs as photographers and that they are trying to show us how they felt when they alter their photographs. When I was looking through Smith's photographs and read that he took them to get people to think about his photos. I was surprised and amazed at that and I could read some of the feelings he had took these photographs. Kertesz and Bresson's journalistic approach was good in my view as well but I feel like sometimes you need to show your feelings in a photograph to get people to start thinking like smith says. Dalgado's photographs I understand more and can read the emotions better after looking at his photographs.
The journalistic appraoch I think is better is Smith and Salgado because showing emotions in a photograph in my opinion is a strength not a weakness. It allows people to think about things while viewing the photograph. Smith and Salgado are great photographers and I respect their work and applaud them for thinking outside the box on their approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment